AIUM Names Award Winners
Feb 25, 2018
LAUREL, MD - AIUM Names Award Winners
The American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine (AIUM) is proud to recognize the following doctors, researchers, sonographers, and educators as its 2018 class of national award recipients. These individuals are being recognized by the AIUM for their leadership, innovation, and contribution to medical ultrasound. This year’s award recipients will be honored during the AIUM Annual Convention in New York City.
- Roberto Romero, MD, DMedSci—Dr Romero will receive the William J. Fry Memorial Lecture Award, which recognizes an AIUM member who has significantly contributed to the scientific progress of medical ultrasound.
- Thomas R. Yellen-Nelson, PhD, FAAPM, FAIUM—The AIUM will present Dr Yellen-Nelson with the Joseph H. Holmes Basic Science Pioneer Award, which honors an individual in basic science who significantly contributed to the growth and development of medical ultrasound.
- Wesley Lee, MD, FAIUM—Dr Lee will be 1 of 2 recipients this year of the Joseph H. Holmes Clinical Pioneer Award. Dr Lee is being recognized for his contributions to clinical science.
- William D. Middleton, MD—Dr Middleton will also be receiving the Joseph H. Holmes Clinical Pioneer Award for his wide-ranging contributions to clinical science.
- Alfred Abuhamad, MD, FAIUM—Dr Abuhamad will be presented the Peter H. Arger, MD, Excellence in Medical Student Education Award. This award honors an individual who has made outstanding contributions to the development of medical ultrasound education.
- Tracy Anton, BS, RDMS, RDCS, FAIUM—The AIUM is proud to recognize Ms Anton with the 2018 Distinguished Sonographer Award, which honors an individual who has made outstanding contributions to the development of medical ultrasound.
“The contributions these individuals have made to medical ultrasound, and their focus on patient safety, make them exceptional recipients of AIUM’s annual awards,” said AIUM President Brian Coley, MD, FAIUM. “We are proud to call them AIUM members and colleagues, and we look forward to their continued contributions.”
The AIUM will also recognize the following individuals as Honorary Fellows, an honor bestowed on individuals living outside North America who have contributed significantly to the field of ultrasound:
- Adriana Suely de Oliveira Melo, MD—Brazil
- Simcha Yagel, MD, FAIUM—Israel
In 2017, medical ultrasound lost a number of leaders and pioneers. The AIUM will honor the following individuals posthumously for their contributions to medical ultrasound:
- David O. Cosgrove, MA, MSc, FRCR FRCP, FAIUM—Memorial Hall of Fame
- Jonathan Ophir, PhD, FAIUM—Memorial Hall of Fame
- Peter N.T. Wells, PhD, CBE, FMedSci, FREng, FIET, FInstP, FLSW, FRS, FAIUM—Memorial Hall of Fame
- William Lindley Diacon, MD, RDMS, FAIUM—Memorial Recognition
- LeRoy Kopel, MS—Memorial Recognition
- Juergen Willmann, MD —Memorial Recognition
Complete biographies of this year’s award winners can be found on the event website
The American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine is a multidisciplinary medical association of more than 9,000 physicians, sonographers, scientists, students, and other healthcare professionals. Established in the early 1950s, AIUM is dedicated to empowering and cultivating a global multidisciplinary community engaged in the use of medical ultrasound through raising awareness, education, sharing information, and research.